Originally posted by Kelly Miterko, Deputy Associate Director, from the Let’s Move! Blog on December 11, 2013
While the temperatures are dropping and the cooler winter weather is here, there are still plenty of ways for you and your family to stay active and healthy this winter!
Up for some outdoor activity?
1. Get Moving to Stay Warm: Get your blood pumping during a game of neighborhood tag to stay warm on a chilly afternoon. Or, if you have a bigger group, organize a game of soccer or flag football for an action-packed hour of physical activity.
2. Play in the Snow: Put on your boots and coat and get outside for some snow-filled fun! Make a life-sized snowman or build a snow fort.
3. Go for a Ride: Grab a sled and find the perfect hill. Once you reach the bottom, race back up to the top for your next ride.
4. Explore the Great Outdoors: Find a nearby trail and take a hike to explore nature this winter.
Too cold outside? Here are some ways to be healthy and active while staying warm indoors this winter.
5. Dance the Day Away: Turn your living room into a dance floor and get moving to all of your favorite holiday tunes!
6. Shoot Hoops: Check out your local community center and start a game of basketball to stay active and meet new friends in your community.
7. Discover New Things: Visit a Let’s Move! Museum and check out new interactive exhibits.
8. Cook a Healthy Recipe: Head into the kitchen with your family and cook a new healthy recipe! Follow @LetsMove on Twitter as we share a MyPlate-inspired recipe each day this month, and give some of the recipes a try. For additional recipe ideas, click here to visit the MyPlate board on Pinterest where you can find hundreds of great recipes.